Saturday, October 15, 2011

MET DAY!

Today was a FANTASTIC DAY!!! Oh my goodness I cannot remember a day when I was just completely happy?!! It has been so long!!!!!! TOday was so amazing I am so happy.!

So this week has been so crazy. 5 midterms, 2 papers due, work, and getting ready for the MET auditions. Things have been so stressful. But I got through it! I only failed 1 midterm....52%. Not that bad...:/
But today was the MET auditions. I was so discouraged last week because I did absolutely awful in Master class and my recording session. I wanted to not do these auditions and I had my heart set on stopping. But I had this feeling that I should just do it. SOooooo I did it! And it was amazing let me tell you! Yesterday, I sang in my master class. I wore the dress I was thinking about wearing for the audition and my professor...the first thing she said when I stood up to sing was " i am not a fan of the orange ddress. You aint wearin' those shoes are ya?" WHAT! she absolutely loved my dress last year for a competition. She said it looked so good on stage. But of course I did not wear it today. Haha I had a blue dress I wore instead. It was more flowing anyways :)
I was going to start my audition with AH! Je Veux Vivre from Romeo et Juliette by Gounod, but my professor thought that was a bad idea. SO instead I started with Prendi per me sei libero from L'Elisir d'amore by Donizetti.

It was smashing!! I felt so good after I got off stage. I have no regrets!! I did not win, I knew that I wouldn't I am not that impressive compared to everyone else. HELLO?!?!?! I was competing against people 20-30. There was no way. haha. But it was still so much fun! I came home Friday night with my friend Diana Olivares. She is my studio class. We stayed at my place and just relaxed last night and this morning. It was super chill and really good to be home. THis is us in the car on our way to the audition!!!

Do we not look so hot?!?! It was so great to travel with her. We had a good time. She is super nice.

I have no regrets about my performance. I felt strong about everything and I was so happy and I had a great time. I was not sure which aria I wanted to start with. It would either be the Prendi, or Steal Me Sweet Thief from the OLd Maid and the Theif by Menotti. I have more experience with Steal Me. I have performed it in the Quest for the Best competition. It sits really good in my voice too. I can really act it out pretty well. But this morning I decided to do Prendi. I just felt like I should sing that one. ANd I did. It really showed off my voice I think. I know there are still a lot of things that could be better, but where I am right now in my performing and studies, I thought I did really good. I have IMPROVED by a butt load this semester. That is only 2 months! I have improved more in these past 2 months than I have ever over the past 2 years at the UA.

I got to meet with one of the judges after the performance and it was incredible. He said I was so young for the repetoire that I am singing. He said it was impressive. He also said that I had a beautiful voice. So young! haha. He asked me if I was into musical theatre and I said yes! I actually wanted to do musical theatre before Opera. He told me he does musical theatre over the summer and there are numerous roles he would cast me in RIGHT NOW! Incredible. When i first walked into the room, he said he remembered me. I was his MAYBE choice for a winner! Can you believe it?!?! A maybe!!!! Icould have won!! hahaha. at least in his opinion I do not know about the other judges haha. He said I just did not have that one thing that made me super unique, that would put me over the top of all the other singers. I am young and I can figure that out. But he did love my voice and told me to keep up the good work. Also, he knows that I am focusing on technique, but once I learn that completely, i should focus on communicating because he said I am a great communicator, which is why he thinks I would do great in music theater. To be a great performer, there are 3 things i must be able to do; sing, move, and communicate. :) How awesome. Movement, vocals and communication. He said i should master all these elements and I will be set! He said the one thing I want you to take from this interview is Communication. And that is what I did! I know that I can communicate so much better, i just get so worried about the technique. But I am still young, he kept saying that. hahaha. I am 22!!!! :) I have so much time to get so much better and I cannot wait to get there! I am on my way!!

The next competition, WATCH OUT!! I am going to blow the fish out of the water! It was been nothing but a marvelous day. I got to sing, perform, meet a PROFESSIONAL MET singer, spend time with the family, it has just been marvelous. Now I am going to see MONEYBALL with the mother. What a great way to end the day. I know this...I am going to sleep great tonight :)

1 comment:

  1. Kendi I'm SO proud of you!!!!! WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!!!

    ReplyDelete